03 May 2010

My Wait List (2010 Spring Version)

March and April are generally pretty dismal when it comes to film openings. Take for example the films that opened in the past two months: Green Zone (Matt Damon's lame attempt to make Jason Bourne a soldier in Iraq), The Bounty Hunter (which makes me wonder why studios still insist on trying to make Jennifer Anniston a movie star), The Last Song (Miley Cyrus, enough said), and The Back-Up Plan (is Jennifer Lopez still relevant?).

With May and June only offering sequels (Shrek Forever, Sex and the City 2, Toy Story 3), it seems like I must wait until July before any film I want to see is set to open.

Without anymore delays, here are five films I am eager to see:

5. Rabbit Hole
Dianne Wiest and Nicole Kidman in a film adaption of a Tony-winning play. These are two of my favourite actresses and I am excited to see them act against one another. It also stars Aaron Eckhart and Sandra Oh. I do not really want to know much about the film except that it is about parents dealing with the death of their son. I hope it is dark and depressing!

Expected release date: exact date unknown.

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I
The last Harry Potter book and the second last film. Let's hope they do not ruin it with 3D and please let it be better than Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It is a shame that we will have to wait until July 2011 to know exactly how the series' ending will be translated on film, but I am anxious to see this one!

Expected release date: November 19.

3. The Kids Are All Right
Julianne Moore? Annette Bening? As a couple? I am hooked. It also stars Mia Wasikowska, from In Treatment, as their daughter (with Josh Hutcherson as their son). The film premiered at Sundance in 2010 and has been labeled one of the must see films of 2010. I am not sure I really even care what the film is about because I want to see it just by knowing the cast!

Expected release date: July 16.

2. I Am Love
I have become obsessed with film blogs and have heard about Tilda Swinton in the Italian film I Am Love for months. It is apparently about a wealthy Italian family and the promotional images and trailer make the film look amazing. I have become a real fan of Tilda Swinton ever since her Oscar-winning performance in Michael Clayton and I will devour anything she is in. That said, while we wait for I Am Love to be released we can watch Julia over and over.

Expected release date: July 16.

1. You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
It is a general rule that while Woody Allen is still making films he will always be at the top of my list. His latest offering, set to premiere out of competition at Cannes, stars Naomi Watts, Josh Brolin, Antonio Banderas and Freida Pinto. Nicole Kidman was originally cast, but left to film Rabbit Hole. Little is know about You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, except that it is about love, sex and treachery and set in London.

Expected release date: September 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment