07 February 2010

Best Picture Showcase at AMC Theatres

It was in 2008 that I first heard about AMC's Best Picture Showcase. I was interested because I had not seen Michael Clayton, and I would have welcomed the opportunity to see Juno and No Country for Old Men a second and third time, respectively. Sadly the event was not being held at any of AMC's theatres in Canada. Last year was the first time that it was available in Canada - at the AMC theatre at Yonge and Dundas in Toronto - but I had seen Slumdog Millionaire three times, and I had seen the rest once and had no real desire to see them a second time.

This year there are ten Best Picture nominees, which posed a problem for AMC and its Best Picture Showcase. The Best Picture Showcase has traditionally been presented the Saturday before the Academy Awards, so how did AMC handle the situation? Five films will be presented on February 27 and the second set of films will be shown on March 6. Anticipating that Avatar will be the heavy draw, AMC has decided to show it on February 27 and is giving viewers the opportunity to vote for the other four films to be shown with it.

Which films would I like to be included with Avatar? Obviously The Blind Side because I have no desire to see it a second time. The same goes for Up, which was hard enough to endure the first time! I just saw A Serious Man for the second time, so it easy for me to pass on. I would also have to choose District 9, because I would rather see the remaining films a second time.

That leaves me hoping that these films will be presented on Saturday, March 6: An Education, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds, Precious and Up in the Air. I can only hope that the more financially successful films amongst the Best Picture nominees will be shown together, leaving my preferred group of five for me to enjoy!

EDIT It turns out that this is no longer being offered in Toronto. The only option is to go see all 10 films in a 24-hour period in Whitby. No thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment