06 October 2009

My Wait List

Since it is October and film studios are about to shove Oscar bait down our throats, I present my list of the ten films I am most eagerly anticipating!

10. Precious

I remember hearing about this film when it was earning praise at Sundance. According to all early reviews it is worthy of all its accolades. Its only downfall: having Oprah Winfrey attached as producer (and can that fact please include an asterisk that lets people know that she only became the film's producer after seeing the finished product?).

9. The Lovely Bones
I may be in the minority among those who have read this book, and although I know nothing about the story beyond the simple facts, how can you not be excited about a film starring Rachel Weisz and Susan Sarandon? I'm also excited to see what Peter Jackson has done in terms of direction after The Lord of the Rings since his film Heavenly Creatures was pretty special (it doesn't hurt that it starred a young Kate Winslet).

8. It's Complicated
Meryl Streep. Does anything else need to be said? Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin are accomplished comedians, and it will be exciting to see how Meryl Streep mixes with them. Nancy Myers' film Something's Gotta Give was surprisingly enjoyable, which makes me eager to see this film. The trailer certainly makes the film look quite funny.

7. An Education
I know next to nothing about this film beyond the basics. I have read numerous articles about Carey Mulligan, and how this film will be her coming out performance. It certainly helps that Sally Hawkins has a supporting role--she was Oscar-worthy in Happy-Go-Lucky.

6. The Men Who Stare At Goats
George Clooney is not my favourite actor, but this film looks nothing short of hilarious. Even though this film seems to be based on a true story, the trailer looks great.

5. A Serious Man
The Coen brothers have made so many great films, and after No Country For Old Men they created Burn After Reading, which was quite funny but lacked a lot of the innovation the Coen brothers are known for. The film does not have any A-list names, and has been getting great early reviews. It was the best reviewed film at TIFF.

4. Fantastic Mr. Fox
Wes Anderon's previous films (The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, The Darjeeling Limited) were all fantastic, but he ventures into the world of stop-motion animation with his new film. It is based off the book by Roald Dahl and Anderson co-wrote the screenplay with Noah Baumbach (The Squid and the Whale). My only disappointment is that Cate Blanchett, originally cast as Mrs. Fox, had to drop out... only to be replaced with Meryl Streep!

3. Los Abrazos Rotos (Broken Embraces)
I disliked Penélope Cruz for years until I saw her in Pedro Almodovar's Volver. She was a relevation in that film, and I have loved her ever since. She was brilliant in Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona and deservedly won an Academy Award. Her new film with Almodovar is advertised as a noir, which is one of the reasons it excites me.

2. Where The Wild Things Are
The previews bring me close to tears, that is how bad I want to see this movie! The book was one of my favourites growing up and there is probably no better director than Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich) to bring the two worlds in the story to the screen.

1. Up In The Air
Hard to believe that there are already two George Clooney movies in my list, and he's at the top of the list, too. I remember buying Walter Kirn's novel when it was first published. I am very excited to see what Jason Reitman has done post-Juno and I think that Clooney might just be perfect for the role of Ryan Bingham. The previews look fantastic and I think this film will live up to the hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment