17 September 2009

Hello, and welcome.

I have never written a blog before. I guess now it as good a time as any to start. A furbelow is a ruffle or a flounce, according to Internet god dictionary.com, but a FFFurbelow is just way more exciting. I love movies. I love watching movies. I love discussing movies. I hate bad movies. There are lots of things that I hate, and I'm sure I'll bitch about them soon enough. I have chosen Trebuchet as my font in honour of two people, one amazing and the other plain: a great lady named Fathy and a man of man mediocre films... Paul Walker. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Anyway, this blog is for me to discuss some of my favourite movies (can I please change the default Spell Check to something Canadian!?) and critique some of the shit that gets shoved down my throat. I'll offer up my top 10 movies soon, a list I've never compiled before.

Tonight I went with Siob O.T. Sea to see Visage, a film by Taiwanese filmmaker Tsai Ming-Liang. I do enjoy going to the Toronto International Film Festival, and decided that this year I would try to see something I would probably not have the opportunity to see in any regular cinema. Boy, did I make a mist
ake.

Visage (The Life Psychotic with Zisou the Deer)
I didn't love the movie like I wanted to. I read the synopsis (http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/films/face) and was quite intrigued. But, alas, it was not meant to be. The movie was like the most awkward parts of Family Guy, when Peter injures himself and sits on the sidewalk clutching his ankle. It's uncomfortable but the shot never ends and you want to look away... and you do... and three minu
tes later you look back and it's still happening! I can't really comment on the acting because I don't know if the actors were acting or just wandering around aimlessly. Visually the film was amazing. The colours were beautiful and I was very captivated by the director's choice of camera angle. I would relate this movie to David Lynch's Inland Empire, only because both were utterly impossible to understand and the characters were impossible to relate to. Although this movie definitely lacked, for me at least, the wonderful talent of Laura Dern. The movie was quite long and while the ending seemed appropriate, it took a hell of a long way to get there. During most of the movie I was amazed by the lack of noise in the theatre. It was eerie just listening to people breathe. I do not really understand how a film with Fanny Ardant and Jeanne Moreau can be so... I hate to say it: bad. Maybe because Laetitia Casta was in it. Her only claim to fame in my book was being on the cover of Rolling Stone's Hot List issue... in like 1999. A lot of people left during the movie. Some right at the beginning, after the very cleverly done plumbing scene, and many more after a rather psychotic song and dance number, and more and more throughout the film. I just felt that if you paid $20 for the ticket and lasted more than 20 minutes, stick around and wait and see what else unfolds. Although, Siob, I will say that I did enjoy the scene with the couple (whatever their names were) when she was putting make up on his scar. Since no one will see the movie and even fewer people have heard of it, no one can disagree with my comments.

Merci.

No comments:

Post a Comment